AI – Artificial Intelligence is the way forward for the global economy and society.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
AI or Artificial Intelligence is a core aspect of computer science that aims to simulate and apply human-like intelligence in order to accomplish simple to highly complex tasks. The tangible technology began with a basic exploratory question, ” Can machines think and act human-like if they are provided with a percept from the environment ?” The modern day, evolved form of AI has more than asserted in the affirmative, with AI encompassing an expansive and continually growing array of applications and responsibilities.
Artificial Intelligence successfully mimics human intelligence and behaviour and progressively expands the scope replacing aspects of human activity to make possible and render an automated approach with favourable outcomes in efficiency, possibilities, and savings in manpower and time.
Significant subsets of AI
ML or Machine learning is a subset of Artificial Intelligence. It requires less computing power and performs designated functions without human intervention. It thinks and acts on the basis of “structured data feeds or inputs”. Once it is programmed, it does not have to depend on human inputs to perceive, sort, analyse and treat data. ML is resilient and, over time it gains the ability to identify objects and classify them. For instance, it can identify an image of a certain cheese, peanut butter, or an apple and label them correctly. Other examples are, where a bank is able to identify and report an illicit transaction. And, Siri or Alexa being able to recognize and follow speech and voice commands.
Deep learning, on the other hand, is far more sophisticated and is capable of accommodating more challenging tasks. Dig is structured with complex layers of ‘neural networks’. These networks enable the computer to think, and significantly, perform in a non-linear manner to accomplish tasks. It requires vast data feeds and does not rely on ongoing human intervention. An example is deep faking which involves transposing of one image on another foreign image making the host image appear as another person’s. While doing so, deep learning identifies intricate aspects of the image in detail and renders it appropriately as programmed.
The goal of AI
The goal of AI too is constantly evolving, as more and more applications and functions are sucked into it’s ambit. Since it’s humble beginning when machines learned to speak languages, AI has grown exponentially to replicate human capability to perceive, analyse and decide in the process of accomplishing intelligent tasks.
AI has made remarkable progress and is capable of absorbing and assimilating vast amounts of data and algorithms to respond within functional parameters of machines and systems.
What makes AI relevant in the human-dominated phenomenal world are the basic abilities to perceive and act effectively. It can replace direct human involvement in many tasks. It has the ability to think and act rationally as humans. AI presently is capable of using it’s skills to perform significant functions and activities to fulfill productive obligations. Some of these are,
- Absorbing and analysing vast data sets relating to patients’ medical history, symptoms, and treatments to allow doctors to possibly and potentially predict patient outcomes.
- Search engines retain browsing patterns and present relevant information in response to individual and specific searches.
- AI has enabled language interpretation and translation based on written and spoken text.
- Virtual assistants like Siri, Alexa, Cortana, and others are excellent and pervasive applications that are based on AI.
- AI plays a significant role in online commerce. It uses accumulated information related to purchases and searches accurately and makes relevant suggestions to the potential shopper.
- AI carries out mining of data to provide cyber security. It detects objectionable text and words to sanitise online platforms.
- It drives navigation and sensors enabled autonomous and semi-autonomous driving.
- Smart cities, hotels, and homes use it for the maintenance of various systems.
- AI is widely used in Internet of Things to provide real-time response and information needed to enable manufacturing and distribution of goods.
- It aids sophisticated methods of farming by enabling efficient seeding, weeding, and pesticides and fertiliser dispersion in agriculture.
AI is the present
The future is already here and evolving to shape the societal and economic spheres by creating a landscape of immense possibilities. AI, in the present day, is an elemental source of structural transformation of economic activity as well as societal progress and well-being. Recognising the potential of this central technology, governments, and private businesses are aggressively driving it’s adoption and use in expansive environments. AI is clearly, progressively making a beneficial impact. It will bring about further and enormous changes in day-to-day life as time goes by.