Writing and Speaking

Professional Engineers Ontario Licence Transfer

Are you a registered Canadian engineer who wants to transfer their license? If yes, then read this blog. Here, we will tell you about Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) license transfer requirements.

Professional Engineers Ontario license requirements:

Professional Engineers Ontario has a mandate to establish the standards for admission and regulate the practice of engineering in Ontario. In a nutshell, to work as a professional engineer, you must have a license from PEO.

Professional Engineers Ontario license requirements:

To attain a license to work as a professional engineer, you need to:

  • Be a minimum of 18 years old
  • Have good character
  • Possess a bachelor’s degree in an engineering program from a Canadian university. This degree must have recognition to the Council’s satisfaction, or equivalent to engineering educational qualifications with accreditation from the Council
  • NPPE (the National Professional Practice Exam, and
  • Demonstrate a minimum of 48 months of acceptable, verifiable engineering experience. A minimum of 12 months of this experience be in a Canadian jurisdiction under a licensed professional engineer (P. Eng.).

Note: Professional Engineers Ontario will accept a license application before a prospective application has met all of the above-given requirements. However, you need to meet all the requirements before the issuance of a license.

To be kept in mind: PEO has the right, at its sole discretion, to ask for additional information or evidence of information you gave. During your application and licensing process, you must make sure that you have satisfied all the requirements for licensure. It may include but is not limited to, signed documentation, either original or certified copies, and extra proof of identification. In addition, it may include names and contact information for references.

As per PEO’s governing legislation, for a license, you need to be able to communicate without any problems in the English language. Therefore, if a question arises related to this ability, PEO will make this determination.

Transfer applicants:

An engineer with a P. Eng. license from another Canadian engineering regulator can apply to become a P. Eng. license holder with PEO. To apply as a P. Eng. transfer applicant, you need to submit a current resume and an acceptable identification document. Besides that, you also need to submit your completed application form.  After that, submit this information to peng.transfer@peo.on.ca.

A P. Eng. transfer applicant doesn’t need to submit transcripts to write the NPPE. It is because they fulfilled the overall licensing requirements with their initial Canadian engineering regulator.

If having applied to or are licensed by PEO in the past, you need to mention this information. For that, mention it in the good character section of your transfer application form.

Remember: There is no mobility agreement for Engineering-in-Training or Engineering Interns (EIT) in Canada. Besides that, individuals can’t transfer their EIT membership between Canadian engineering regulators. Only the individual with P. Eng. license from another Canadian regulator can submit P. Eng. transfer application.

All the necessary information is received, and it is officially decided that your P. Eng. transfer application can proceed. In other words, your application will be processed, and you will have to pay the appropriate fees. If confused here, hire a Professional Engineers Ontario expert.

License application costs:

Application fee is $360 + HST (total $406.80)

The final licensing/registration fee is $300 + HST (total of $339) (the authority will invoice you for this fee upon licensing).

Annual fees are $265+HST (total $299.45)

How to complete a P. Eng. transfer application:

  1. Type of application:

This form is specific to Transfers. So, only complete this application form if you have a P. Eng. license. This license must be from a Canadian engineering regulator.

  1. Name:

This is the name appearing on your license certificate. So, put in your full legal name exactly as it is on your proof of age and identity. Besides that, put in your date of birth, and indicate your sex by checking the appropriate box.

  1. Age and Identity proof:

For a license, you need to be at least 18. To verify your age and identity, you need to include a photocopy (both sides) of government-issued identification documents. These documents must specify your full name and date of birth. The documents acceptable here are:

  • Driving license
  • Canadian Birth Certificate or evidence of birth document
  • Record of Landing
  • Student/Work Authorization
  • Canadian Citizenship Card (both sides)
  • Canadian Permanent Resident Card (both sides)
  1. Current Address:

You need to give your current residence address, telephone number, and email address for an Engineers Ontario license.

  1. Academic background:

Mention the following:

  • Type of earned undergraduate (bachelor) and postgraduate (masters, doctorate) degrees like B.A.Sc., M.A. Sc. or Ph.D.)
  • The discipline of study
  • Name and location (country/city) of the degree-issuing institutions
  • The date (month/year) each degree was issued 
  1. Good character:

Apart from education and experience requirements, the Professional Engineers Act stipulates the requirement of good character. For that, you need to answer the questions in this section by checking the appropriate box. If your answer is ‘yes’ to any of the questions, you need to provide details on a separate sheet.

  1. Applicant’s declaration:

You have to read and complete the declaration after thorough consideration before signing your license application.

  1. Necessary information:

  • Your latest resume
  • Completed and signed P. Eng. application form
  • An acceptable ID document



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button