By definition, bipolar disorder refers to extreme mood swings, causing excessive high and low emotions. Therefore, the individual receives changes in his behavior, thinking, energy, sleep, and other day-to-day activities. There’re episodes in which the individual feels highly energized and low.
Bipolar disorder, also termed manic depression, is sure to affect the quality of life if not managed well. Thus, medical attention is of utmost importance. By following a strategic treatment plan, patients can keep their mental wellness in a good state. Reach out to the best psychiatric hospital in Siliguri in order to receive optimal healing.
Knowing the Signs of Bipolar Disorder
In simple terms, the two poles of mood -emotional high and low – is what medically known as bipolar disorder. The following are signs and symptoms of the condition:
Symptoms of Mania/Highs
- Extreme energy
- Increased self-care activity, self-consciousness
- Racing thoughts
- Abnormally high sex drive
- Poor concentration, judgment
- Rapid speech
- Sudden shifts from elevated mood to irritability
- Very talkative at times
- Distracted concentration
- A decline in sleep requirement, appetite
Symptoms of Major Depressive Periods
- Slow talks
- Decreased energy
- Sleep disturbances (insomnia/hypersomnia)
- Feeling worthless
- Lack of interest in activities once was favourite
- Lack of concentration
- Self-harming thoughts
What are the Risk Factors?
Findings have stated a few factors that contribute to the development of the bipolar disorder, including:
- A family history of bipolar disorder may put the individual at the same risk, especially if the condition runs in first-degree blood relatives
- A faulty gene may have a role here since it runs in family
- Experience of high stress/trauma can be a significant contributing factor to bipolar disorder
- Losing a loved one may lead to major depression with time
- Certain physical or mental health conditions can bring about such concerns
- Alcohol/drug abuse can be alarming
Identifying the Co-Occurring Concerns
With bipolar disorder, day-to-day life tends to undergo difficulties in terms of connecting with others/interpersonal sector. Several conditions may transpire alongside such as anxiety disorders, substance dependency, eating disorders, thyroid disorder, heart disease, attention-deficit/hyperreactivity disorder, headaches, et al.
It’s best to inform a medical expert on noticing the above signs. One may not understand if he has bipolar disorder. Under medical health evaluation, the problems come to light. There’re different ranges of diagnostic producers available in order to rule the intensity of the condition.
Diagnosis and Medical Care
A psychiatrist may go for a few steps so as to diagnose bipolar disorder, such as – a physical and psychological health examination, lab tests, listening to the existing symptoms, knowing if any first-degree blood relative has this condition, etc. When the diagnostic criteria meet, treatments are at the ready.
Not everyone receives the same set of medical care provided by a specialist. Depending on the specific signs/condition, including co-occurring health issues, doctors decide treatment approach. Schedule an appointment with the leading psychiatrists at the top rehabilitation centre in Siliguri.
Ideal treatments for bipolar disorder often include medications, talk therapies, hospitalization, care for substance use disorder, etc. Lifestyle modifications work great at optimal healing as guided by a specialist. In addition, routine health check-ups under medical supervision are crucial since it’s a lifelong condition.